For those of you who are too young to remember, 21 Jump Street was a television show in the 80s. It was mostly my mother and my aunt who watched it; children love their cartoons, and are not interested in anything adults like.
Anyway, this here is the movie version. Hollywood showed us that making movie versions of old TV shows is quite lucrative, and since they've basically cleared the 70s with Charlie's Angels and Starsky and Hutch, they now move on to the 80s.
Anyway, here are 21 reasons to watch this. Thank heavens the street address wasn't in triple digits. If it were called 101 Jump Street, I'd have to write 101 reasons to watch this.
1. Channing Tatum's first attempt at comedy
ColumbiaI mean, look at him.
2. A lean, mean, Jonah Hill
3. Excellent comedy, with lots of laugh-out-loud moments
ColumbiaYes, that's them fingering each other's mouths.
4. That cute blonde girl who played Molly (Brie Larson)
ColumbiaSometimes, she looks like a pretty girl version of
5. That hot blonde girl who played the slutty Jump Street cop Fugazy (Dakota Johnson)
ColumbiaBlondes are always bitches.
6. Ice Cube's trademark potty mouth
7. James Franco's kid brother Dave
8. The weirdest Jesus image ever
ColumbiaI think because it's a Korean Jesus.
9. Cameos from the original 21 Jump Street cast
ColumbiaTom Hanson (Johnny Depp) and Doug Penhall (Peter DeLuise).
10. Johnny Depp in a role that isn't a weird, eccentric oddball
ColumbiaDamn you and your good looks, Depp.
11. Jonah Hill (co-)wrote the story
ColumbiaNo caption necessary.
12. Jonah Hill carrying a tune
ColumbiaHe can leave the dancing to Channing Tatum, though.
13. Jonah Hill dressed like Eminem
14. Jonah Hill in a Peter Pan costume
ColumbiaAnd Brie Larson as Wendy.
15. Channing Tatum in a potassium nitrate costume
Columbia...reading a potassium nitrate poem.
16. The main villain Mr. Walters getting his dick shot off
ColumbiaThat's not a finger, folks.
17. Learning the Miranda rights
ColumbiaFor those too lazy to read Miranda v. Arizona.
18. That awesome new hallucinogenic street drug
19. The chemistry between Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum
20. The John Woo homage
21. The possibility of a sequel
Columbia"You two sons of bitches are goin' to college!"
All in all, good movie. More writing gigs for Jonah Hill, and more comedy roles for Channing Tatum, please.
21 Jump Street. USA. 2012.
Rating: Seven and a half out of ten.